Saturday, July 23, 2011

What Not to do in a Foreign Country


Don't get sick.

It's really bad.

Especially when in a foreign country, and on an archaeological dig.


I thought it was just a cold, but after five days it still hasn't gone away, and if I'm not better by Tuesday I have to go to the hospital. The crew has placed their bets on bronchitis, I'm still hoping for just a cold and that it will go away. Either way, my body can't seem to tolerate the Spanish cold medicine. It makes you both high and sicker at the same time. What I wouldn't give for some dayquil right now.


Back to archaeology though, today I found a mass of pot sherds stuck in the remnants of an old wall. They really weren't anything special, but they are the first thing I've found. Keep in mind everyone that pottery is the most prolific artifact found on a dig. Its like the tupperware of yesterday, you used it to store absolutely everything. Its easily replaceable if broken, and everyone from the very poor to the very rich used it. Thus its absolutely everywhere. Today we'd call it littering.


Heading into the weekend now. Its a huge festival in the city of Santiago de Compastella right now and most of the dig crew are going. I'm gonna bow out of this one in the hopes of getting better. Pictures to come, I'll be a bit better, and cleared headed once I'm not ill. But right now my head's a little foggy.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment