Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Have a Thermometer in my Armpit

I'd love to tell you that I'm doing something interesting and archaeology related. But after spending my entire three day weekend sick, I'm doing neither. As of today, Tuesday, for those of you in different time zones, I've been sick for ten days. So this entire day was spent to see the doctor. Which was way harder that it should have been.
The first hospital we went to should have been fine, but I didn't have my insurance info on me (they never sent me any). So we went back to the museum on the dig site to use the internet. Turns out I bought something like insurance, but not enough like it that I'm covered here in Spain. I'm not sure what I actually bought. So I decided to pay anyways, because I feel like hell, and back to the doctor we go. Well the staff at the museum recommends a different clinic to me, so we go there. After wandering the streets we get some directions but that clinic doesn't open till four, and its twoish now. So back to the other hospital. But the other hospital tells us that the clinic would be a much cheaper option, and while they can certainly see me its going to be much more expensive.
So back to camp we go, just in time for the coffee after lunch (there's coffee after every meal here). Then back to the dig, and back to the clinic, now open. Turns out the older gentleman we asked directions from is also the xray tech. So having already talked with us, I'm immediately ushered in for an xray. I even get to keep it. At this point, I went to Spain, and got an xray.
It would have been far worse if not for one of the instructors being from this region of Spain. When I was alone conversation deteriorated into simple gestures, and then they just did things for me if it was simple enough. Which is how I ended up with a thermometer in my armpit. I can't remember ever having my temperature taken this way, and its been a long time since I've seen a mercury thermometer.
The good news is I have a severe cold, possibly bronchitis because of the cough and am taking antibiotics, some hard core cough medicine, and something else that I mix into water that tastes like rotten salt. All in all the doctor visit, the xray, and all the meds cost me 63.00 euros. I was expecting worse.
Hope to update you all soon on something more interesting than my illness. And remember email is the best way to get a hold of me, but I might not answer for a day or two.
-Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment