Wednesday, July 20, 2011

First Post From the Dig Site

Since I last left you, I've headed away from Santiago de Compestela to the coast and the small town of Boiro (boy-row). The crew is staying at a summer camp about a 15 min bus ride from the site, which is made all the more awkward by the fact that the kids for the summer camp are here too. We're not allowed to interact with them, so shower schedules are strict and if you don't make it you don't shower. This leaves little time in an all ready highly regimented schedule. We're up at 8am, and breakfast is at 9 (its not really breakfast just some coffee and bread). On the bus by 9:45 we arrive on site by 10am. The site is a small museum and large park where guest can walk, or drive the paths and see some of the on going archaeological projects.

We're divided up between three sites. An old neighbor hood looking area, a moat, and an area where a small test dig revealed post holes. I'm stationed at the site with the post holes. Its mostly manual labor right now as we work to clear our large section and get down to the more interesting layers. We remove soil, rocks and roots from 10am until 1:30 am when we take the bus back to camp for lunch. By 3:15 we are back on the bus and back on site by 3:30. We continue to dig until 6:30 to barely make it back by the 7pm shower time at camp. Most of the crew is in bed between 12 and 1am. This is pretty standard for Spain and you can even see young children out at what we would consider way past their bedtime. With this schedule it makes it hard to get to the store if you need anything. Or to find some internet, let alone the time to use it. I'll post as often as I can, and try for more pictures too.

It's all terribly exciting stuff, regimented schedule, manual labor, etc, etc, etc.

Sadly I'm not getting as much Spanish food as I would like. The camp food at its best is sufficient, and a few times has been down right inedible. And certainly not what you would call Spanish. I've also been sick since Sunday, Spanish cold medicine is not fun. The various kinds I have tried have just made things worse, or at the very least made me very ineffective until they wore off. Like, this wall is very interesting, kind of ineffective.

This is the update. Its chilly and mostly rainy. Pictures to come, and remember the internet is few and far between. I've managed to snag on to some mysterious signal here at the camp, but there is not telling how long that will last. We've yet to find an internet cafe here, and I don't have much time to do that should I wish too. But I'm checking my email, and I receive it more often than I'm able to send. So I'm getting your messages, and I'm sorry if I've been unable to get back to you yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment