Thursday, September 8, 2011

Back!

Sorry for the long pause. Brandon and I were in Oregon at the Oregon Star Party volunteering with my lovely friends from the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. Also my transition back the U.S. was not so awesome. Turns out those antibiotics I took in Spain really did a number on my digestive system, and I've been sick after every time I've eaten since getting back. It took a while to figure out what was wrong, but now I'm on a diet of yogurt to fix it.

But oh the things I have to tell you.

So you all know the massive problems with the dig that I was on. It was pretty much all I could talk about. But what you didn't know was that my professor here was responsible for getting me on the dig. She knew that I was looking for something to do over the summer and her newest grad student was running a field school in Spain. Said grad student is from Spain, and is now in the phd program here. Turns out he's in one of my classes. Which of course is awesome. And by awesome I mean dear god someone shoot me. This is of course made better by the fact that she asked me how the dig went. I wasn't going to lie. I told the truth. I told her about features being rebuilt, about the lack of archaeological integrity and the sheer lack of ethics. And, of course, she was concerned (to say the least). The natural question from her was why didn't I go to 'said grad student'. I made up an excuse. But honestly what went on at that dig was wrong, pure and simple. There is no getting around this. Now my professor is his graduate adviser so I've no idea what will happen next. What I do hope is that this grad student will learn something. Because from what I saw, he didn't see anything wrong with what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment